When it comes to press release, start-up companies have a lot of questions. How, why, what to include. Many questions pop one after the other. The most common one is “When do we need to send a news release?” and the answer is obvious: When it is newsworthy and useful to your readers.
Apparently, you don’t want to use neither your own time, your team’s time nor the time of the news editors. Only send press release when it meets these two criteria: the press release should be of interest to the reader and to be newsworthy. Remember, it has to fit BOTH these criteria. Not only the first or only the second one. It MUST FIT BOTH!
However, there is a catch. It might be easy to determine whether or not it will suit your target audience, but determining whether your press release is newsworthy is a bit more difficult. These is when you need model ideas that will come handy, so you can compare your idea towards them and determine its newsworthiness. Here we go, this is a list of my sample ideas in no particular order.
- Opening a new company – indeed, even creating another small business is news. Sure enough it might not be worth a national coverage, but at a local level it is news.
- Opening a new location, office, and plant or acquiring one – is definitely news worth sharing
- Announcing a new product or product line
- A new achievement or special recognition – success sounds great. Don’t miss an opportunity to show the world how successful you are
- Report the results of your study and make a forecast – this is fresh material to media, and is your study’s subject is attention grabber, you might get even better news coverage than you think
- Conduct a survey and analyze the results – same as the above, the media loves opinion polls. It is another way to show yourself as an expert in the field
- Create a special event related to your industry
- Announcing a new executive – you get double the points if the new executive is a recognizable name in the industry
- Announcing a scholarship – this brings good karma as well. Giving an opportunity to a bright individual who cannot otherwise go to school is a great deed
- Awarding recognition to others – honor those outside your business – like Vendor of the year
But what about if you have nothing to share? It is time to be creative. If you really don’t have any news to report, it is time to roll your sleeves and create the said news. It is not a matter of size, because you will reach your destination no matter how slowly you walk. Let’s say that you are a small company marketing knives – you can write about the addition of a new line of survival knives in the beginning of the season, you can celebrate a new milestone – like reaching your 1000 customer or a year of being in the business and create a little competition awarding the top 3 multi-tools of the year to the winners. You can even make a new study that covers knives and report the results in the form of a nice infographic. Most definitely you will get quite a few mentions, and they will show you as the source of the said study.
For more information, how to write a killer press release check this article on the Guardian.
Yesterday’s news is today’s history. News by its very nature should be current. If the news in your release is outdated you shouldn’t be sending it in the first place.
It’s very important to position your news in a relevant and timely manner. To do that at the best way possible, make the effort to step outside of your own world. Ask yourself why someone would be interested in the your story, why he or she would want to share it with his friends on Facebook or Twitter. If you find that the news would not be interesting to your audience given the current conditions it is more than likely not a relevant or timely piece. You need to correct that. To help you get started we’ve selected few different news ideas. Read them. Chew them. Make them your own and then write your news.
Our top news ideas:
Starting a new business:
- With the job market down, job seekers are turning to entrepreneurship as the answer.
- Reinvent a Product, Not the Wheel (Entrepeneur.com)
Expanding your operations:
- This could be great news for a sagging local economy. It will provide more jobs and bring additional revenues in for the local government.
- Embracing new technologies today, find your running gear easier than ever with our new app
Being more social:
- Embracing New Technology Leads to Business Success
- Need a running buddy? There’s an app specifically for that
- Your business leads the industry by embracing new technologies.
When writing a news story you should consider what is going on locally, nationally, and in your particular industry. The secret to writing timely news is to consider what people want to read at any given time. This will help you develop a tie-in that can make your news story, mesh with what people are currently interested in.
We’ll leave you with a very interesting video discussing how news affect our mind:
The online reviewer announces that new brands are added to its collection.
The company is trying to stay at the top of the innovation while at the same time puts safety first. Dynamic engineering and the new technologies are closely monitored so the clients are always up-to-date with the newest available technologies in the work boots industry.
All shoes featuring on the site mybootprint.com are handpicked and compared to strict standards. New models are only added if they pass the standards. Our experts review each pair and rank the models, so our customers can find quickly and easy what they are searching for.
To complement the needs of today’s workplaces, they felt the need to add new models to the existing ones that have proved themselves over the years.
Their commitment for innovative, durable and safe footwear has gained us loyal audience. They want to serve wider market, and serve traditionalists, people embracing new technologies and people that want to be fashionable at work.
While it is impossible to implement all characteristics in the same pair of boots, we’ve decided to pick the top boots in each category, point out all pros and cons that we’ve found and give the people the final word which is ‘their pair’.
The brands MyBootprint carry currently include well-recognized names in the industry: Timberland, Caterpillar, Carolina, Wolverine, Dr. Martens, and Red Wings. They are to be adding new models from Danner and Justin too.
My Bootprint strives to always provide in-depth work boots reviews for the best working boots on the market. They know just how important the work boots are, as they are worn day in and day out, 8 hours a day.
About the company:
MyBootprint.com is committed to serving their clients and becoming their top trusted reviewer when it comes to work boots. Their strict quality standards are high and they review material, construction, durability, brand, and break in period of each and every pair.